Saturday, April 23, 2011
St. Matthew & St. Joseph Episcopal Church, Detroit
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church was established in 1846 by the organizers of the Detroit Underground railroad as the first African American Episcopal congregation in Michigan. In 1971 it merged with St. Joseph's Episcopal Church at Woodward and Holbrook. Architect James Nettleton designed the building in English Gothic Style. The floor of the church is Pawabic tile. There are three beautiful Tiffany windows on the stairway from the narthex to the balcony.