Sunday, July 24, 2011
St Bernard Church in Alpena
Bishop Baraga? Well, he slogged his way through the snow and ice from Sault Set Marie in 1861 and founded a catholic church in Alpena. Although the cornerstone was laid in 1880 for their new church, the parish split into three. The French retained the original structure and named it St Anne, the Polish faction became St Mary's and then the Irish kept St Bernard which we see above.