Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Fishtown of Leland

The Leland River (a.k.a. Carp River) leads to the legendary fishing on Lake Michigan. For more than 100 years, Leland has been known for its commercial fishing, hence its nickname, Fishtown. In this quaint town, many of the buildings dating back to the 1800's were formally used as smoke houses or ice houses. A bunch of these old shanties have been turned into entertainment venues. This downtown area has been designated a historical site.

2 comments:

  1. The two of you inspire me! I am not a native Michigander - born in California. I am a passionate traveler, however! Now that Michigan is my home, I am so eager to explore all the nooks and crannies. I will be moving to Montmorency Co. in a year or two and would love to learn about it in depth. I just know that there are many stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is definitely "up north". When you learn those stories, share them with us, Lynne! THanks. Suzie

    ReplyDelete