Saturday, May 1, 2010
Congregation Shaarey Zedek, Southfield
Congregation Shaarey Zedek has its roots back in 1861, at the beginning of the Civil War, when 17 followers of Traditional Judaism withdrew from Beth El Society in Detroit to found the Shaarey Zedek Society. The congregation has worshiped in seven different structures since founded moving to this location in 1962. The building was designed by Albert Kahn and Percival Goodman. In 1966 when Rabbi Morris Adler was delivering a sermon in honor of Abraham Lincoln, a troubled congregant shot Adler twice before taking his own life.